1 a representation of common ground between theories or phenomena; "there was no overlap between their proposals" [syn: convergence, intersection]
2 the property of partial coincidence in time
3 a flap that lies over another part; "the lap of the shingles should be at least ten inches" [syn: lap]
1 coincide partially or wholly; "Our vacations overlap"
2 extend over and cover a part of; "The roofs of the houses overlap in this crowded city" [also: overlapping, overlapped]
To extend over and partly cover something
To have an area, range, character or function in common
- Dutch: overlappen
Used of sets that have some elements in common
- Dutch: overlappen
- French: englober
- Something that overlaps or is overlapped
Overlap may mean one of:
- In music theory, Overlap is a synonym for reinterpretation of a chord at the boundary of two musical phrases
- In railway signalling, an overlap is the length of track beyond a stop signal that is proved to be clear of vehicles in the controls of the previous signal, as a safety margin.
- Overlap (road), a place where multiple road numbers overlap
- Overlap-add, an efficient convolution method using FFT
- In sailing, overlap happens when two or more boats/yachts are not clear astern and not clear ahead.
- In dramatic speech, overlap means to start saying something, then have someone else start saying the same sentence but starting at a different time.
accord, accordance, affinity, agree, agreement, answer to, applique, arch over, assent, assort with, be consistent, be of one, be uniform with, bedizenment, bestraddle, bestride, bridge, check, chime, chorus, cohere, coherence, coincide, coincidence, compatibility, concert, concord, concordance, concur, conform, conform with, conformance, conformation, conformity, congeniality, congruence, congruency, congruity, consist with, consistency, consonance, consort, cooperate, cooperation, correspond, correspondence, dovetail, duplication, duplication of effort, embellishment, equivalence, expletive, extend over, extravagance, fall in together, fat, featherbedding, filling, fit together, flap, fly, frill, frills, frippery, gingerbread, go together, go with, hang over, hang together, harmonize, harmony, hit, hold together, imbricate, imbrication, interlock, intersect, intersection, jibe, jut, lap, lap over, lie over, lock, luxury, match, needlessness, oneness, ornamentation, overadornment, overarch, overhang, overlapping, overlay, overlayer, overlie, override, padding, parallel, parallelism, payroll padding, peace, pleonasm, prolixity, rapport, redundance, redundancy, register, register with, respond to, ride, self-consistency, shingle, sing in chorus, sort with, span, square, square with, stand together, superfluity, superfluousness, symmetry, sync, synchronism, tally, tautology, timing, uniformity, union, unison, unisonance, unnecessariness, verbosity